Let Me Introduce Myself
My name is Tommy Young and this has been my little slice of digital landscape since early 2007. I am 47 years young and live outside St. Louis, Missouri, but have lived in a number of places. I was born in southern Illinois, but then lived in Louisiana, Texas, Kansas, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia, Washington, DC, and now Illinois for a third time (in that order).
I’ve had a fun and varied life that just seems to get better and better each year. I played Division I golf, worked for and studied with the man who hired Walter Cronkite and fired Edward R. Murrow, walked large sections of the Appalachian Trial, ran a suicide hotline, and my parents swear I am the most photographed child in the world standing beside a cannon (my father’s PhD is in Civil War history).
I have more than 30 years experience in the high-tech b2b market space with experience in account service, strategic planning, research and account planning, and public relations.
Prior to setting off on a freelance career, I was the Vice President of Marketing for a virtual, web-based Application Service Provider (ASP) that sold high-end interactive marketing products and services (electronic newsletters, email marketing, and web meeting software).
During the dot com bubble I was an Account Supervisor for KSK Communications (now a part of Earle Palmer Brown); a specialized ad agency focused on b2b high-tech clients. I was responsible for crafting marketing and strategic planning for high-profile new and existing clients, including Lucent Technologies, HP, PeopleSoft, Octel, and Unisys.
Before that I worked at E. James White, one of Northern Virginia’s largest agencies, where I built the Account Planning department from scratch into a profitable and productive business unit. Before that, I was a Senior Account Executive that managed three of the agency’s largest clients for the $80M shop.
Prior to joining E. James White, I worked as a market research analyst at INPUT and as an Account Executive at award-winning Elliott Van Deutsch (which became MHI Communications and now Blattner Brunner), where I cut my teeth working on accounts such as AOL, EDS, Nortel, and the National Parks and Conservation Association.
The site requires a semi-modern browser and a Human brain v1.0 strongly suggested.
- Publishing Tools: Most content is produced in NoteTab Pro and published and managed for your reading enjoyment using WordPress (4.4.2).
- Hardware: Dell OptiPlex 7000 series desktop w/ dual 24 monitor setup running Windows 10. On the mobile front a Samsung XE500C12 Chromebook, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 tablet, and my long-in-the-tooth Samsung Galaxy Note II smartphone (I still love the darn thing and can’t get rid of it).
- Software: Photoshop CS, Dreamweaver CC, Evernote, Hootsuite, Trello, and Google Chrome.
- Services: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, MailChimp, Flickr, and Google Analytics.
- Hosting/Domain Management: The always up and always stellar GoDaddy.
If you would like to contact you can reach me via email at tommy at webranding dot org.